“I embrace the responsibility I have as an attorney representing not just myself, but also the firm and its clients. I work hard in that regard to meet and exceed the client's expectations.”
Alex Shilliday's practice is devoted to insurance coverage litigation, including declaratory judgment and bad faith actions.
- Successfully obtained an affirmation of an award of summary judgment on behalf of an insurance client at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
- Represent insurers in prosecuting and defending declaratory judgment actions related to the duty to defend and duty to indemnify.
- Represent commercial general liability insurers in construction defect cases.
- Represent workers’ compensation carriers in defense of “bad faith” claims.
- Defend insurance agents and agencies in litigation involving E&O claims, including allegations of negligence, failure to procure coverage, misrepresentation and fraud.
- Defend claims made by nonsubscriber self-insurers for coverage regarding on-the-job injuries sustained by employees.
Drafted numerous coverage opinions on many aspects of general liability policies, auto policies, trucking policies, and ERISA plans.
- State Bar of Texas, 2003
United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- Bachelor of Business Administration, Finance and Business Economics Degree from University of Notre Dame, 1999
Juris Doctor Degree from Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, Articles Editor, International Law Review, 2003
- For the Honorable A. Joe Fish, United States District Judge, Northern District of Texas.
|Publications & Presentations|
The following Publications & Presentations are not available online. If you would like a hard copy, please contact this attorney.
- Author: “The Mathematics of Insurance Coverage,” JOURNAL OF TEXAS INSURANCE LAW, Vol. 12, No. 1 at pp. 1-7 (Summer 2012)
- Author: Patience is Not Only a Virtue – For Insurers in Texas, It May Be a Necessity,” HSB e-Newsletter, February 26, 2010
- Author & Presenter: Duties and Obligations in Handling Third Party Liability Claims, June 11, 2009
- Author and Presenter: “Insurance Coverage – A Recent Battleground Issue in Texas Law,” Plano Bar Association, October 3, 2008
- Author and Presenter: “The Importance of Handling First-Party Claims Properly – And What Could Happen If You Don’t,” America First Insurance Co., June 16, 2008
Co-author: “Basic Coverage Issues Involving the Personal Auto Policy – What Adjusters Need to Look Out For,” presented to Germania Insurance Company, February 5, 2007
- State Bar of Texas, Member, Insurance Law Section
Texas Young Lawyers Association
Alex was born in Jacksonville, Florida.